Monday, April 11, 2011

St. John's Store Recommendation #2: Microplay/ Jumbo Video - Mt. Pearl



I am loath to think I am writing a recommendation based on someone picking on my last one, but to be honest with you, there's a little hint of that in here. :) But, not to take away from dear Steven Power, manager of Microplay/ Jumbo Video, as he deserves some highly touted praise for his work.

I've known Steve since back in the '90's when I worked at Microplay. He was an up and coming graphic designer, and a regular customer at the shop over on Freshwater Road who fell into a job because a sales associate just wasn't working out. (I can't remember the guy's name... hrm...) anyway.

To the unknowing eye, Steve may come across the wrong way. But if you listen to him, he'll generally tell you what you need to know about a game or a video without the hinderance of whether he is paid to do it or not. He's an honest soul, not just some guy paid to pander to idiots who want to rent the latest Denzel Washington movie. (Ugh... BTW:P) And man, does he know his games.


My latest favorite game is a little gem called Crimson Gem Saga for PSP. How did I find out about this game? Why, Steve Power of course. Over the run of years of going back and forth to his shop, he's picked up on my gaming tastes (which are remarkably similar to his) and has in turn been able to sell to me what I want. Nearly every recommendation that Steve has made to me over the past... oh... 5 years or so has been a game that I've loved. Two Worlds, Two Worlds II, Gothic 4 Arcania, Mass Effect 1 and 2 (which own my soul), the ORIGINAL Guitar Hero, and the list goes on and on. It's remarkable how often he hits the nail on the head when it comes to recommendations.

It's too bad that there is a video store thrown in on top of a very good video game store, because in the long run, I think that is holds Steve and his team back from being a great game store.

The single reason that Microplay doesn't get my #1 recommendation over Netherworld Collectibles is as such: Microplay/ Jumbo Video ISN'T a geek store. It has games, but the games are there to support the declining video store. We all know about digital transfers and Netflix and what have you, so Jumbo Video is a business in the decline. Games, even though they are available online, are still a major market and somewhere down the line, expect to see Microplay Jumbo become Microplay alone once more. I shop geek stores, and geek things. The single best place to cater to my needs of geekdom is Netherworld. However, the customer service provided by not only Steve but his staff as well make them a close #2.

If you are looking for a shop that has staff that knows their stuff and are willing to give the truth on it, whether you want to know it or not, Microplay Jumbo in Mt. Pearl is the place to go. You will get a real evaluation of the game or product you buy. (I think the hate Rock Band gear... but you be the judge when you go by) You will definately leave with either the game you want, or be better educated in the game you thought you wanted. What else could you ask for in a video game dealer?

C


C

PS: Steve, scan that code!!! :P

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the very kind words Chris! I do my best to cater to the geeks out there -who knows what the future holds - you may see another dedicated gaming store in my neck of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete